Fort Arnold 1780. Enlarged from Major Villefranche's Map. West Point, W. S. Barnard.

Fort Arnold 1780. Enlarged from Major Villefranche's Map.

New York: D. Van Nostrand. Engraved map showing the Fort Arnold on the Hudson River with Stony Point, West Point, Gee's Point and the South Barracks, North Barracks, Magazine, Long Barracks, Sherburne Battery, Lantern Battery, and Chain Battery. Fort Arnold was the original name of the fort built between 1778 and 1780; it was renamed Fort Clinton after Benedict Arnold's betrayal and defection to the British, after General James Clinton. The fort was the main defensive garrison during the Revolutionary war, overlooking the crucial tight turn in the Hudson River and the location of the Great Chain. The military academy at West Point was founded at this site in 1802. Scale 1.5 inches to 200 yards. 7 1/4 x 5" Very good condition. Item #17364

Price: $125.00

See all items by ,