Sydney: Ca. 1929. Two b&w original photographs by an unidentified photographer of the steel arch bridge, nicknamed "the Coathanger", which was built under the direction of J. C. Bradfield of the NSW department of Public Works. The bridge was designed by the British firm Dorman Long and Co., construction began in 1923, the arch construction commenced in 1929, and it opened in 1932. The bridge measures 134 meters from the top to the water level, and is the world's sixth longest spanning arch bridge.
The first photograph is a side view of the bridge, taken from Circular Quay showing the first year's progress, with the abutment for the first pylon under construction and part of the arch competed with a crane on top of it. The second photograph is taken from the foot of the abutment looking up at the underside of the bridge, and showing the planking which will become the roadway. Approximately 6 1/2 x 4 3/4" Very good condition. Item #18866