1874 manuscript letter on steel engraved letterhead with large illustration of the resort known as Gregory House, enclosing payment for a Singer sewing machine purchased by Mrs. C. Shepherd. Lovely engraving of the hotel buildings along the lake, with elegant use of type fonts above and below the engraving. S. E. Crittenden (proprietor).
In 1834 Stephen Monk purchased an acre of land adjoining Lake Mahopac and built the first hotel at the site, which later became Gregory House when it was purchased by Huldah Gregory. The resort was accessible to residents of New York City by means of the Harlem Railroad.
The Singer sewing machine was purchased for $27.00; a record of the purchase and "Attended to" (written in blue pencil) is noted at the top of the letterhead. Dated July 14, 1874 and signed John T. Devine. 8 x 10", written in an elegant hand on blue lined paper, removed from an album. Very good overall. Item #22714