Newburgh, NY: Ritchie & Hull, 1891. Hardcover. Important work on the Hudson River town of Newburgh NY, profusely illustrated with b&w photographic portraits and many important historic sites and residences. Previous owner name at rear paste down, "Mr. John H. Marvel, His property". John Marvel was a member of the Newburgh family which founded T. S. Marvel & Company in 1884. The name was changed to T. S. Marvel Shipbuilding Company in 1904; it closed in 1914 but was reopened by Marvel's son Harry in 1923. It closed again at the end of WWII but was reactivated by Steel Style Inc. in 1976 and is now operated by Steel Style's successor company, Steelways Shipyard. The yard was located on South Water Street, to the north of Quassaic Creek. Capt. Thomas S. Marvel, the founder of the shipyard, appears in this volume at p248.
4to, 335 pp, ills throughout. Orig. dark green gilt & black stamped buckram, "Newburgh" in gilt at front cover, extremes rubbed, front board detached, cloth at spine lacking, signatures loose but holding. Lacks folding map of Newburgh frontispiece. Indexed list of personal names. As is. Poor. Item #22950