New York: G. W. Carleton, 1873. Hardcover. History of the famed anti slavery Brooklyn NY church with a wonderful plate of the Great Organ built by E. & G. Hook of Boston. Plymouth Church is located in the Brooklyn Heights neighborhood of Brooklyn.
The Plymouth Church under its first minister, Henry Ward Beecher, became the foremost center of anti-slavery feeling in the mid 1800s. Beecher was deeply involved in the abolitionist movement; before the Civil War he raised money to purchase and free slaves. Beecher also sent rifles, ("Beecher's Bibles") to abolitionists in Kansas and Nebraska, and toured Europe speaking in support of preserving the Union.
8vo, 310pp, plates. Bound in the original dark green gilt cloth. Bright and clean. Very good condition. Item #24275