London: Jarrold & Son, 1897. First edition. Hardcover. Introduction by P.W. Clayden. Scarce work with an interesting Western Australia provenance: the Coolgardie Mechanics' Institute. The Mechanics Institute was built in 1896, and opened in 1897.
Australia’s highly popular mechanics’ institutes first appeared in Hobart in 1827, followed by the Sydney Mechanics’ School of Arts in 1833 and inn 1839 the Melbourne Mechanics’ Institute. Nearly every town in Victoria had a mechanics’ institute generally comprised of a hall, library and reading rooms, facilities for games and programs of educational and entertaining activities.
Deaccessed from the library, with the subscriber's label laid down inside the front board, and stamps at end papers.
Small 8vo, folding map, 165pp, pp advertisements. Original publisher's light blue cloth with Greek flag in white and black and map of the Island on front cover. Front board slightly marked, internally short sticky tape repair at front end paper, o/w very good, bright and clean. Very good overall. Item #24420