Hobart: T. Bluett, 1846. Original lithograph with period hand color, from the rare folio 'Tasmania Illustrated' by John Skinner Prout (1806 - 1876). This is a lovely color view of Hobart, with the new road (really a pretty country lane), moving diagonally from left to right, past a few large buildings, into the town, with the cathedral and the blue bay in the distance. A young woman and small child are seated on a large rock in the foreground, and Mt. Wellington is at the far right. Signed by the artist at the lower center, slightly to the right, within the image, 'J. S. Prout'.
In the 1820s trade blossomed, with Hobart becoming a major wool trade port. Shops were established and fine Georgian sandstone buildings went up, such as the Presbyterian church (1824), Salamanca Place warehouses (1830s), the Theatre Royal (1837) and elegant private homes such as Narryna (1828). The Hobart Hebrew Congregation Synagogue was consecrated in 1845; it is the oldest synagogue building in Australia, built in the unusual Egyptian Revival style. Also in 1845, the first known Australian exhibition of pictures, arranged by John Skinner Prout, took place in Hobart.
A restored copy of the image, with the original title, but trimmed to the margin all the way around; an archival border has been added for framing purposes. Very pretty copy, image is in very good condition. Very good overall. Item #25973