The History of Putnam County, N. Y.; with an Enumeration of its Towns, Villages, Rivers, Creeks, Lakes, Ponds, Mountains, Hills, and Geological Features; Local Traditions; and Short Biographical Sketches of Early Settlers, Etc.
New York: Baker & Scribner, 1849. Hardcover. A scarce work on the smallest of New York State's counties, written by a Cold Spring lawyer. With sections pertaining to geology, roads & turnpikes, Revolutionary letters, Revolutionary pledge, Philipstown, Town of Putnam Valley, Town of Carmel, Town of Southeast, Town of Kent, Town of Patterson, and and Appendix. The appendix lists, among other items, the number of free male and female "colored", and the number of slaves (female, 1). With a long section on Philipstown, with a description of Cold Spring "The West Point Foundry, located here, has been the main cause of its flourishing condition; and within the last five years its building lots have doubled in value" (p159). Also with descriptions of Nelsonville, Break Neck, Bull Hill, St. Anthony's Face, Cat Hill, Sugar Loaf Mountain, Constitution Island, Under Cliff, the Robinson House, the Beverly Dock, etc. There is a detailed description of the West Point Foundry operation, including buildings, materials consumed, articles manufactured, the President and Vice President of the Association (Kemble, Parrott), and the efficiency of the plant: "In the blacksmith shop, the fire is not out of the furnaces for weeks; one gang of men working through the night until morning, when their places are supplied by another gang during the day."
Sml 8vo, iv, -368pp. Publisher's brown blind stamped cloth, nicely rebacked retaining the original gilt title and author. Small library blindstamp on title page. Otherwise pristine. Howes B-501; Nestler 1190; OCLC: 5878630. Very good overall. Item #26362