Newburgh, NY: 1836. A leather bound account book with entries beginning January 1, 1836; at year end Aaron Belknap had a very healthy balance at his local bank of $3,273.54. With a loosely inserted check for $6.25 made out to Whitcomb Tarbell, dated Jan 17th 1839, printed, signed by Aaron Belknap. With spindle puncture at center. The account book measures 4 1/2 x 7"; account title written in ink at front cover in contemporary hand.
The village of Newburgh was incorporated in 1800. Located on the Hudson it expanded and became a major center of commerce from 1850 on. With a well developed transportation network, it was an important steamboat river stop and attracted many businesses whose ships engaged in international trade. Early Newburgh was even part of the whaling boom of the 1800s, and it was a ferry landing for coal brought
from Pennsylvania. The Bank of Newburgh was chartered in 1811 and for twenty three years was the only banking institution in the area; it also had a branch in Ithaca New York which operated for 12 years. Very good condition. Item #22957