Ca. 1885. Large albumen photographs of the Grange station, north of Hamilton, which was first settled in 1838. The Wedge brothers established the Grange in what is now called Old Strathkellar, on Mill Road. It was the first pastoral holding established in the area, with a long history as a pastoral property, and of note for its fine gardens.
The imposing images include "The Grange", a photograph of the two story homestead with a man and woman seated on the ground floor veranda, a sweeping drive in front, and tall trees; "The Drive, Grange", an image of the curved drive flanked by mature trees; "Stables, the Grange", showing a large two story stable with horse & rider and carriage in front, and a flock of sheep; "Pampas Grass, the Grange", depicting a woman and man flanking the very tall grass; "The Blue Gum Avenue, the Grange", showing a lovely avenue of tall gums; and "View on the Grange estate", a landscape view taken across an open field with rows of trees in the far distance.
The photographs taken by an unidentified photographer; each titled in period ink at the lower right. 9 1/2 x 7 1/4" Very good overall. Item #25543