Victoria: 13 May 1898. An indenture for 4 allotments in the township of Keilor, which is now a suburb of Melbourne just west of Tullamarine.
The township was a noted camping place for people and bullock teams to and from the gold diggings at Castlemaine, Ballarat and Bendigo. Keilor Post Office opened on 2 March 1854 and a general store, blacksmith, hotel, police station, courthouse and bridge were all built during this time.
The indenture is between Donald McDonald of Derriliquin and 3 parties: John Harris of Essendon, Donald Alexander McDonald of South Yarra, and Emma Jane Watt, widow, and concerns 3 Crown grants all dated 1854. The schedule identifies the land as being in the township of Keilor: Allotment No. 14, Section 10 bounded on the north by Macedon St; and allotments 16, 17 & 18 of Section 11 which refer to Kennedy Street, Macedon Street and Arabin Street
Signed on the last page by John Harris and Donald Alexander McDonald, with attorneys signing for Robert Orr and Donald McDonald; red wax seals next to each.
17 x10 1/2". Stab bound at left with green cord; tax stamps at top left margin. On verso, Conveyance dated 13th May 1898, received & signed by Deputy Registrar General. Strongman & Crouch, 456 Chancery Lane, Melbourne, solicitors. With fee stamp, 2/6. Short closed tears at foredge of a few folds. Very good condition. Item #25935