1867. Ephemera. A Victorian telegram form with hand written text, signed by S.W. Smyth. Sent to Mr. Samuel Davis, dated 31st December 1867. Text reads, "Sold twenty Kohmoors (?) ten to eleven /11/ pounds forward five scrip." Mr. S.W. Smyth is recorded as the manager of the Warrior Gold Mining Co., of 3 Eldon Chambers Ballarat (according to an 1867 Ballarat newspaper advertisement for a change of date for an AGM.)
The Australian Victorian government set up the telegraph in March 1854 and wires reached Ballarat in December 1856. The telegraph office was not set up at the post office until 1871, a year before the international cable landed at Darwin. While shares were traded from 1857 it was not until 1863 that the Ballarat stock exchange opened as an open air exchange.
Official blue paper with blue text, 8 1/2 x 9", verso has Regulations and Conditions for telegraphic messages printed in black, glued along edge to card stock. Very good condition. Item #27445